Thursday, May 31, 2007

chess program, methodology, inefficiencies (part 1)

I haven't spent much time planning in the process of writing the chess computer, but rather have been working by creating increasingly more well structured (and efficient) prototypes. As against extensive planning to get everything right the first time you get around to coding. It's not as chaotic as it sounds, I do make decisions regarding structure along the way, just that I do it when it comes naturally, rather than trying to force it. And I try to adhere to design principles such as low coupling och high cohesion. But still, as soon as planning isn't easy or obvious I start to code until my insight into the program is such that I'm ready to for new decisions regarding structure (which often means some degree of refactoring needs to be done).

As a result of this, my chess program has gone through some stages when my code was very different (in some ways) from what it is now, and less efficient and less well structured (not that it's particularly efficient now, but everything is relative and all that). I just thought I'd document some of these inefficiencies for future reference. Starting in my next post (I can't keep my plan to post three times a week if I write those long posts every time...)

(Is there any way to always be logged in at blogger? It annoys me having to log in every time, even if it only takes a click.)

2 comments:

transformation said...

i sincerely think it is ok to post every day or not for two weeks, the main thing being to speak and share from the heart. that is, in my humble opinion, all that really matters. warmly, david

XY said...

Okay. I prefer to post regularly, and that others do that too. However, I would never say that it isn't ok to post irregularly. If I like a blog, I'll keep reading it however irregular the posting is.

 
Locations of visitors to this page