Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Chess II

Okay, I’m trying out the following two rules:

1. This one I mentioned briefly in my last post on the subject: checking up all checks, captures and threat, in that order, and for both me and my opponent. And I’m doing this when it’s my turn to move, before I make a move, and for every interesting move I do the same for my opponent (i.e. checking which checks, captures and threats he can make in return.)

2. Calculate specific moves when it’s my turn, whether they apply to me or my opponent, and general principles when it’s my opponents turn, whether they apply to me or to the opponent. (One exception might be open positions, when calculating moves is of special importance. In these positions it might be a good idea to calculate moves even at the opponents turn.)

The general principles referred to above are basically of two categories: positional and tactical. Positional principles are things weak pawns, the placement of the pieces and so on, and tactical principles are tactical themes that are present in the current position (things like unprotected pieces, mate on the first row, the placement of piece in relation to forks, etc. These have a strong connection to positional principles, but aren’t the same. Tactical themes are basically positional aspects with a fairly direct connection to tactics, so it’s a mix of position and tactics, you might say). Checking for tactical themes is what sometimes is called doing a "tactical inventory". In some positions, in particular those with an open center, I think you almost only do tactical inventories rather than positional analysis.

It is really, really easy for me to overdo what I’m doing to here, to create a really elaborate system that takes into account everything but is impossible to follow. The idea is to really practice and make a habit out of the things I come up with. They should be few, and they should be the best possible out of many alternatives. An essential part of this whole thing is to try out everything I propose and see how it goes (and not keep building the system without a throughout testing of it at the same time.)

And btw, I haven’t here motivated the above rules, just stated them. But I might do that later.

.

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page